Halloween Frankenstein Kiwis
on Oct 02, 2022, Updated Nov 05, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
With Halloween 🎃 just around the corner, it’s time to get creative with your treats. These Frankenstein Kiwis 🥝 are not only adorable but also a healthier option for Halloween. Join me in making these fun and easy snacks that are perfect for both kids and adults alike. Inspired by creators on Pinterest, especially “Berry & The Boards,” these Frankenstein Kiwis are sure to delight your loved ones and add a bit of spooky cuteness to your Halloween celebrations.
Why You’ll Love Halloween Frankenstein Kiwis
- Halloween Fun: These Frankenstein Kiwis are a perfect blend of adorable and spooky👻, making them a fantastic Halloween treat for kids and adults alike.
- Healthier Option: Sometimes we all indulge a bit during Halloween, but these treats offer a healthier alternative without compromising on the fun factor.
- Quick and Easy: With just a few simple ingredients and 10 minutes of your time, you can whip up these delightful creations.
- Customizable: Feel free to use your favorite chocolate and get creative with your Frankenstein Kiwi’s expressions.
How To Prepare Frankenstein Kiwis
- Start by washing and drying the kiwis 🥝 thoroughly.
- Next, cut each kiwi in half with the flesh side down.
- Then, trim a small portion off one end, and make a 1/4-inch slit from the top down without cutting through.
- Gently peel the skin upward with a peeler, starting from the bottom, then pat the kiwis dry after peeling to remove excess moisture.
- For the eyes 👀, use a thin skewer or toothpick to make two chocolate dots on the kiwi’s face then place the candy eyes on top and create a mouth.
- Add some creative touches, like extra “scuffs” on the sides of the kiwi’s face.
- Lastly, insert the snapped pretzel halves as ears.
Nonna’s Spooky Tip
Do not cut all the way through the skin so that you can make the “hat” on top. Also, make sure the kiwi is very dry or the chocolate won’t stick.
Substitutions and Variations
To add versatility to your Frankenstein Kiwis, consider these variations and substitutions that offer different flavors, textures, and customization options.
- Chocolate Options 🍫: Feel free to use your favorite chocolate for the eyes and mouth. For example, you can use white chocolate, dark chocolate, or even colored candy melts to add a different look and taste to your Frankenstein Kiwis.
- Add Sprinkles: To make your Frankenstein Kiwis even more festive, add Halloween-themed sprinkles to the chocolate for extra flair and color.
- Gluten-Free Ears: Substitute pretzel sticks with gluten-free pretzels or gluten-free alternatives like small crackers or crispy veggie sticks for a gluten-free version.
- Personalized Expressions: Get creative with different facial expressions for your Frankenstein Kiwis. You can use the chocolate to make smiling, winking, or surprised faces, thus allowing each one to have its own personality.
Other Halloween Recipes
- Mummy Hot Dogs
- Halloween Cheese Board
- Witch Finger Cookies
- Chocolate Bats
- Pretzel Broomsticks
- Halloween Cocktails
Yes, the candy eyes are edible, but they can be quite hard. Some people prefer to remove them before eating, as they may find them too tough.
Absolutely! You can use white chocolate, dark chocolate, or colored candy melts to customize the look and taste of your Frankenstein Kiwis.
Yes, there are dairy-free and vegan chocolate options available. You can also use dairy-free edible decorations to accommodate dietary restrictions.
You have two options for melting the chocolate. You can either melt it in the microwave in short increments while stirring between each session, or you can opt to melt it over a double boiler for a more controlled and gentle heating process. Choose the method that suits your preference and equipment availability.
The chocolate typically hardens within a few minutes, especially if you use room-temperature kiwis. You can speed up the process by placing the decorated kiwis in the refrigerator for a brief period.
Halloween Frankenstein Kiwis
- 3 kiwi's, not too ripe, should be firmer
- melted chocolate , I melted chocolate chips over a double boiler
- pretzel sticks , I snapped mine in half
- candy eyes
- Wash the kiwi really well and pat it dry. Cut it directly in half and place it flesh side down.
- Cut a little bit off of one of the ends and discard it. You can now take any sharp knife — I use a paring knife and I make a slit 1/4 of the way down from the top but I don’t cut all the way through. You just make a cut until it touches the flesh but do not cut through it. Take a small peeler and gently peel the skin upwards starting from the bottom.
- Pat it down and dab with a paper towel to remove some of that moisture otherwise the chocolate won't stick. I like to use a very thin skewer, but you can also use a toothpick as well. I dip my thin skewer into the melted chocolate and make two dots for the eyes.
- I add two eye candy’s on top of the chocolate and gently press. With that same skewer I dip again in the chocolate and draw a mouth.
- You are more than welcome to add some extra “scuffs ” on the side of the face as well. I take my pretzel and snap it in half and I insert each half into the sides of the kiwi where the ears would go. Enjoy and don’t forget to follow for more
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Take a look at my other Halloween snack ideas