Halloween Chocolate Bats
on Oct 06, 2022, Updated Nov 05, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Halloween 🎃 is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate this spooky season than with some adorable chocolate bats 🦇! These treats are not only a sight to behold but also a perfect addition to your Halloween party. Whether you’re hosting a ghoulish 👻 gathering or just want to indulge in some themed sweets, these chocolate bats are sure to bring a smile to everyone’s face. With minimal ingredients and effort, you can craft your own little army of chocolate bats.
Why You’ll Love Halloween Chocolate Bats
- Quick and Easy: Making these chocolate bats is a breeze, and you don’t need to be a culinary expert to create them. Because, in just a few simple steps, you’ll have charming treats ready to enjoy.
- Adorable: Chocolate bats are the perfect addition to any Halloween party or gathering. They’re both a treat for the taste buds and a great decoration for your spooky-themed celebration.
- Kid-Friendly: Get the little ones involved in the kitchen and let their creativity shine as they decorate these cute creatures. It’s a great way to spend quality time together.
- Customizable: While the recipe calls for specific ingredients, there are plenty of variations and substitutions you can explore to suit dietary preferences or allergies.
How To Prepare Halloween Chocolate Bats
Unwrap the Mini Reese’s Cups: First, start by unwrapping the mini Reese’s cups, which will serve as the bodies of your chocolate bats.
Add Chocolate Icing: Then, place a small dot of chocolate icing on top of each Reese’s cup. This acts as the adhesive for attaching the bat’s wings.
Break the Cookies: Carefully break the Oreo cookies in half, attempting to keep one half without icing. This un-iced half will be used to create the wings.
Oreo Wings: Then, use the chocolate icing as glue to attach the two Oreo halves to the sides of the Reese’s cup. These Oreo halves become the wings of your chocolate bats, and don’t worry if an Oreo cookie breaks in the process; consider it a chef’s treat!
Create the Bat’s Eyes: Using the chocolate icing, add two small dots on the front of each Reese’s cup. These dots will serve as the eyes of your bats.
Apply Candy Eyes: Lastly, gently place the white candy eyes on top of the chocolate icing dots to form the bat’s eyes.
Enjoy Your Chocolate Bats: Now your chocolate bats are ready to awe your Halloween guests!
Nonna’s Spooky Tip
I like using the Wilton Brown Chocolate icing but you can use a small amount of any nut or seed butter to stick the eyes on. The candy eyes used in the recipe are indeed edible, but they can be quite hard. It’s advisable to be careful when consuming the chocolate bats or to remove the candy eyes before eating, especially if you’re concerned about dental health or the hardness of the eyes.
Substitutions and Variations
Let’s add a unique twist to your Halloween celebration!
- Cookie Alternatives: You can use any round cookie of your choice in place of Oreos to create these chocolate bats. Gluten-free cookies would be a great option if you want to make allergy-friendly bats.
- Nut Allergies: If you or your guests have nut allergies, no worries! Substitute the mini Reese’s cups with nut-free chocolate cups or mini cupcakes that resemble the shape of a little cup.
- Edible Eyes: The candy eyes, while adorable, can be quite hard. Be cautious or consider removing them before consumption if you’re concerned about dental health.
Other Halloween Recipes
- Mummy Hot Dogs
- Frankenstein Kiwis
- Witch Finger Cookies
- Halloween Cheese Board
- Pretzel Broomsticks
- Halloween Cocktails
Yes, you can use any round cookies instead of Oreos. Get creative and choose your favorite cookie flavor!
If you or your guests have nut allergies, you can make these chocolate bats with nut-free chocolate cups or mini cupcakes and this ensures that everyone can enjoy the Halloween treats without any concerns.
The candy eyes used in the recipe are indeed edible, but they can be quite hard. It’s advisable to be careful when consuming the chocolate bats or to remove the candy eyes before eating, especially if you’re concerned about dental health or the hardness of the eyes.
Yes, you can infuse your chocolate icing with flavors such as vanilla, mint, or orange extract to give your chocolate bats an extra dimension of taste. Just a few drops will do the trick.
Halloween Chocolate Bats
- Take out the little cups from the wrapper, add a dot of chocolate icing (or melted chocolate) on top and twist the Oreo cookie until the halves separate.
- Take the half with less icing and try to break the cookie into two equal pieces. Stick the two pieces onto the peanut butter cup as shown on my video. These will be the wings. If any Oreos break in the process, just consider it a chef’s treat.
- Take the icing, add two dots for the eyes and stick the white candy eyes on top. Enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.