on Oct 13, 2023, Updated Oct 26, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Remember being in the lunch room in middle school and looking over at your friend’s lunchable feeling nothing but dread and jealousy because you have to eat your very Eastern-European lunch instead? No? Just me? Ok cool 😅. Well, I’d like to introduce you to the adult-size version of this childhood classic, packed with 30 grams of protein 🤯 to keep you energized throughout the day!
Not only is this lunchable nutritious and convenient, it’s also completely customizable! You can truly get as creative as you want with this recipe and make this lunchable your very own.
Why You’ll Love This Adult Lunchable
What makes this lunchable perfect for an afternoon snack or quick lunch is its customizability. I know a lot of us (including me) struggle with finding enough time ⏳ to cook a healthy and nutritious meal each day.
This recipe will allow you to throw together a protein-dense meal without much prep or effort. You can switch out the ingredients each time you make this lunchable and satisfy any craving you may have. Whether you want to try different cheeses 🧀, add a hint of sweetness with fresh fruits and jams, or include some crunch with mini bell peppers, cucumbers, or crackers, the possibilities are truly endless.
The best part is, if you’re someone who tracks their macros, you can easily adapt this recipe to meet your nutritional goals.
My recipe below includes boiled eggs 🥚, but for those who aren’t big fans of eggs, feel free to add other sources of protein like chicken sausage, breakfast sausage, or even deli meats like turkey or chicken breast. Just keep in mind that any substitutions or edits to the recipe will obviously alter the nutritional values and protein content. If you’re vegetarian, be sure to check out my tofu scramble recipe.
How to Prepare This Adult Lunchable
Boil your eggs 🥚: Start by boiling your eggs for about 10 minutes until they are hard-boiled. A great trick is to rinse them under cold water or place them in an ice bath in order to make them easy to peel.
Assemble the adult lunchable: Grab a meal prep container and then place the peeled eggs into the smaller Tupperware compartment. Next, arrange the slices of pepperoni alongside the eggs. Now it’s time for the cheese 🧀. Take two slices of Havarti and stack them on top of each other. Make three vertical and three horizontal cuts 🔪 which should give you perfectly equal-sized squares.
Customize further: Add the remaining ingredients: cubed cheese, grapes, and crisps into the larger compartment of the meal prep container. You can copy my exact arrangement below or arrange based on your container.
With everything in its designated spot, you’re all set to re-live your childhood memories in adult fashion with this delicious lunchable👌!
If you want even more separation between your ingredients, you can use cupcake liners as dividers. This will keep everything in place and ensure nothing gets soggy!
Variations and Substitutions
- Instead of hard-boiled eggs, you can use chicken sausage, breakfast sausage, or deli meats like turkey or chicken breast. Grilled chicken breast, tofu cubes, or smoked salmon are also great options.
- Feel free to use cheese 🧀 like mozzarella, brie, blue cheese, or cheddar based on your preference. Keep in mind though, that harder cheeses work better in this instance as they keep their shape.
- Instead of using grapes consider adding apple slices 🍎, cherry tomatoes, mini bell peppers, carrot sticks, or cucumber slices 🥒.
- If you want to substitute the crisps, try using rice cakes or whole-wheat crackers instead. If you have a bit more time, consider adding some cooked quinoa or couscous.
- Add some healthy fats by incorporating walnuts, almonds, or cashews.
- To satisfy your sweet tooth, feel free to incorporate some dark chocolate 🍫 or some dried fruit like dried mango or dried apricots.
- Use vegan cheese or plant-based protein like tempeh or my tofu scramble to make this lunchable vegan or vegetarian.
- Dips like hummus, guacamole, or yogurt-based dips are also great additions. An added bonus is that hummus and yogurt will boost your protein content!
- For a gluten-free adult lunchable, substitute the crisps with rice cakes or gluten-free crackers.
- If you want to make this lunchable super low-carb, simply omit the crackers and add extra vegetables 🥕.
This lunchable can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. However, keep in mind, it’s better to consume it sooner for better texture and taste.
For those who aren’t big fans of eggs, feel free to add other sources of protein instead like chicken sausage, breakfast sausage, or even deli meats like turkey or chicken breast. If you’re vegetarian, be sure to check out my tofu scramble recipe.
You certainly can! Use vegan cheese or plant-based protein like tempeh or my tofu scramble to make this lunchable vegan or vegetarian.
If you are counting macros, calories, or carbs, you can adjust the portion sizes to meet your dietary needs.
This lunchable is also perfect for kids! Simply adjust by using kid-sized portions and adding more kid-friendly ingredients and dips.
Consider using cupcake liners as dividers. This will keep everything in place and ensure nothing gets soggy!
For a gluten-free adult lunchable, substitute the crisps with rice cakes or gluten-free crackers.
I used airtight containers with separate compartments, but any bento-box type of container with compartments will work.
- 2 large eggs , hardboiled
- 12 crisps , linked here 34 Degrees Crisps | Original Crisps | Thin, Light & Crunchy Crisps, Single Pack (4.5oz)
- 9 slices pepperoni , (27 grams)
- 2 slices Havarti cheese , (20 grams)
- 8 grapes
- additional veggies like cucumber, baby carrots, are optional*
- Boil the eggs for 10 minutes. Rinse them under cold water or soak them in an ice-bath so that they peel easily.
- Take any meal prep container, I like using a glass one with a with a divider (linked in my equipment above).
- Peel the eggs and place them in the glass Tupperware. I place them in the smaller part of my Tupperware.
- Take the pepperoni slices and place them beside the hard boiled eggs.
- Take two slices of Havarti and stack them on top of each other. I like to make three vertical cuts and 3 horizontal which will give me equal sized squares.
- Assemble the rest of the ingredients (cheese, grapes, and crisps) into the bigger side of the meal prep container as per your liking or replicate my photo on the blog.
- If you want to use cupcake liners as dividers, you're more than welcome to do that as well. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.