Have you ever heard of watermelon fries? These are sticks of fresh watermelon that are cut like crinkly French fries. They make the cutest snack ever. Preparing the “fries” is not only a fun family activity, the creative shape will definitely get kids interested in eating more fruit. All you need is a crinkle cutter (linked below) and watermelon. You can serve these “fries” with any fruit dip or even with Tajin sprinkled on top. Tajin is a Mexican chili-based condiment that is delicious sprinkled on top of fresh fruit. It’s pretty mild, but use sparingly when serving young kids. Have fun with making these fries and experiment with different flavorings (see more ideas in the recipe notes below) to your liking.
- thinly sliced watermelon
- mint and lemon thyme for garnish (optional)
- Note: If you don't want to purcahse and deal with a whole watermelon, you can use pre-cut watermelon from the grocery store. Look for watermelon wedges (a portion of the whole watermelon, sold with the rind still intact).
- Cut the whole watermelon in half, place the fruit cut side down and then cut thin slices.
- Take the crinkle cutter and cut across each slice making that "fry-like" shape. Please watch my video below if you are uncertain.
- Optionally, cut the rind off. Enjoy these on their own, with fruit dip, or any additional toppings listed in my notes below.