Viral Frozen Watermelon Shaved Ice
on Aug 15, 2023, Updated Sep 07, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is the summer of fruit, and my Viral Frozen Watermelon Shaved Ice. It’s brilliant way to transform watermelon into a healthy frozen dessert that everyone will love. The first time I made my own version of the viral shaved fruit ice, was in the form of Frozen Peaches and Cream. While it was delicious and a total success, I learned that grating frozen fruit by hand on a zester makes for very cold fingers. Now I use a rotary grater to spare myself from numb fingers and produce snow-cone-like results in seconds.
Why You’ll Love Frozen Watermelon Shaved Ice:
Sweet and juicy watermelon is the perfect candidate for frozen shaved ice. It has a high moisture content, and it’s packed with nutrients, antioxidants, and vitamins. It’s a terrific fruit for hydration, which is a welcome bonus on these hot summer days. I top my shaved ice with a bit of the solid cream from the top of a can of coconut milk, but this is completely optional. If you don’t want to open a full can of coconut milk, you can also purchase coconut cream. Keep in mind, it is sometimes available in smaller size cans. You can also top this with sweetened condensed milk, ice cream, or even plain or vanilla yogurt. Additional sweetener is also optional, and you can add honey, maple syrup, agave, or any you like.
If snow cones were a part of your childhood, you will love this healthy take, that happens to be vegan, with no natural dyes.
Variations and Substitutions:
This fun summer recipe would taste delicious with different fruits such as peaches or strawberries. I would not recommend bananas though. If dairy is not a part of your diet, you could substitute for a dairy-free yogurt. Additionally, the amount of sweetener can be adjusted to your liking.
- Instead of watermelon, you could substitute another fruit such as peaches, strawberries, or mangoes. I wouldn’t recommend bananas, as the consistency would not be the same
- The cream that sits on top of a can of coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, or yogurt could be left out entirely. It can be replaced with a dairy or nut-free option depending on your dietary preferences
- for the sweetener, you can do as little or as much as you’d like. Sweetener could be from honey, agave, maple syrup or others of choice.
Similar Recipes to Watermelon Shaved Ice:
- Watermelon carpaccio is a visually stunning and delightfully refreshing dish that features thinly sliced watermelon, elegantly arranged, and adorned with a medley of complementary flavors, including creamy cheese, crunchy nuts, and a drizzle of honey.
- Have you ever heard of Watermelon Fries? They are sticks of fresh watermelon that are cut like crinkly French fries.
- My Hot Honey Watermelon Salad will be your new favorite summertime dish.
- Watermelon mango salsa is a vibrant and refreshing combination of juicy watermelon and ripe mango, tossed with zesty lime juice, cilantro, and a hint of jalapeño for a burst of tropical flavor in every bite.
Yes, you can! Let it flash freeze first, transfer it into a ziplock bag, and it can be used for months on end.
You can absolutely use fruit like peaches, strawberries, mangoes, or any of your choice. I wouldn’t recommend bananas as you wouldn’t get the same consistency.
You can use any dairy-free alternative that you love.
Frozen Watermelon Shaved Ice
- 2 cups frozen watermelon , (cut smaller so they fit into the rotary grater)
- ⅓ cup coconut cream , sweetened condensed milk, or yogurt (optional)
- 2 teaspoons honey, or any sweetener
- Cut the watermelon into pieces or buy it pre-cut for ease. Place onto a baking sheet and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- In a serving bowl, mix the cream that sits on top of a can of coconut milk with any sweetener of choice.
- Put the frozen watermelon into the opening of the rotary grater and grate it on top of the coconut cream. Enjoy!