Frozen Peaches and Cream is an easy, healthy, and novel dessert to keep you cool this summer. Freezing and grating frozen fruits is one of the best viral hacks I’ve seen lately. (Thanks to Frankie Gaw, @littlefatboyfrankie, who started the “shaved ice” trend online this summer.) Fruit-based shaved ice has been a cultural staple of many countries, including Japan, Mexico, and the Philippines, to name a few.
My version is a fun twist on the classic “peaches and cream” dessert combo: mix your favorite yogurt with a bit of vanilla bean paste and honey for a lightly-sweetened, creamy base. You can also add a bit of protein powder, if you like. Freeze a fresh, clean peach, and use a sharp zester grater to shave the peach. The result is the freshest peach “shaved ice” you’ve ever tasted. Enjoy as is or top with seeds, nuts, fresh mint, or any topping you like.
If you make a version of a shaved ice fruit dessert in your culture, please share in the comments!
Frozen Peaches and Cream
- zester or microplane grater PRO Zester Grater – Parmesan Cheese, Citrus, Lemon, Lime, Ginger, Chocolate, Fruits
- 1 whole fresh peach
- 1 cup plain yogurt, any you like
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon honey, plus more for drizzling
- Place the peach in a sandwich bag and freeze it for at least a few hours or overnight, until solidly frozen.
- Note: Let the peach thaw for a few minutes before grating it and assembling the recipe.
- Add the yogurt to a bowl and mix in the vanilla and honey.
- Using a zester or microplane grater, grate the frozen peach on top of the yogurt. This will take a few minutes and your hands may get cold. Have patience!
- Drizzle on some extra honey and enjoy! You can also add nuts/seeds/granola or any other toppings of choice.