Easy Nutella Croissants
on Dec 03, 2022, Updated Nov 16, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These easy Nutella croissants will be your new favorite treat. I have teamed up with my friend Nicole Keshishian Modic | KALEJUNKIE to share this amazing dessert. Nicole is a food blogger, recipe developer, cookbook author, and former lawyer. She is so supportive of other creators such as myself, so be sure to give her a follow.
Why You’ll Love Easy Nutella Croissants
Flaky puff pastry combined with Nutella is everything you need this 🎄 holiday season. There are only a few ingredients in these Nutella-filled puff pastry croissants, which makes for an easy and wonderful family activity. You could definitely fill the croissants with jam, brie, or anything you desire. The most important part of this recipe is that you enjoy the process and have fun!
How to Prepare
❄️ Thaw the puff pastry according to package instructions, I prefer to do mine in the fridge overnight.
🔥 Preheat the oven to 400F.
🔻 Dust the counter with flour, unroll the puff pastry, and cut it into 8 triangles.
🍫 Then, place each triangle on a plate, add Nutella, and roll it up from the flat end to the triangle point.
🥚 Put the rolled croissants on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and brush with optional egg wash for a golden color.
♨️ Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
🥐 Dust with icing sugar before serving. Enjoy!
Make sure to dust the puff pastry if it sticks with a little bit of flour. DO NOT mistake puff pastry for PHYLLO or FILO as they are completely different.
Nutella Croissants Variations and Substitutions
Make these Nutella croissants your own by exploring variations such as different fillings, toppings, and dough options.
- Instead of Nutella, try another spread or filling like peanut butter, almond butter, chocolate ganache, jam, or brie.
- Feel free to add chopped nuts, such as 🌰 hazelnuts or almonds, to the filling for extra crunch.
- You could sprinkle cinnamon or a cinnamon-sugar mixture over the Nutella before rolling up the croissants.
- To make the croissants a little healthier, you could add some fruit, like bananas or strawberries 🍓 on top of the Nutella before rolling them up.
- If you prefer homemade dough, you can make your own croissant dough from scratch.
- Use a dairy-free or vegan puff pastry if you have dietary restrictions.
You can absolutely fill these with anything you like such as jam and brie, or anything else you desire.
You are more than welcome to purchase puff pastry squares and cut each one diagonally as it will simplify things for you as well.
You should be able to find puff pastry at your local grocery store in the freezer section or online.
Look for gluten-free puff pastry at specialty stores, or you could try a recipe for homemade gluten-free pastry dough.
I think that these are best eaten fresh, but you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or freeze for longer storage. Reheat in the oven for a fresher taste.
Easy Nutella Croissants
- 1 roll puff pastry dough, mine was 10 by 10 inches
- light dusting of flour , on the bottom and top
- 8 teaspoons Nutella, measure with your heart
- 1 egg , + tablespoon of water
- icing sugar, for presentation
- Thaw the puff pastry roll as per the package instructions. I like to thaw mine in the fridge overnight.
- Once thawed, preheat the oven to 400F. Dust the counter or your work surface with some flour. Unroll the puff pastry directly onto the floured surface and peel the paper as well. Dust the top of the puff pastry with a touch of flour.
- Take a knife or a pizza cutter and cut the puff pastry into a cross. You should have four equal squares. Now, cut each square diagonally from one point to another so that you are left with two triangles.
- Once you cut each square, you should have 8 triangles which will yield 8 croissants.
- Take each puff pastry triangle and place it onto a plate. Position it so that it looks like a right or left triangle, as it's the easiest way to roll into a croissant. Please look at my video below or on my social media channels if you are unsure.
- Add a heaping teaspoon or so of Nutella and begin to roll it up starting from the flat end rolling all the way up towards the triangle point.
- Proceed to do this until you have 8 croissants. Place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush each one with egg wash. The egg wash is optional, but it will give the croissants a beautiful golden colour.
- Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Be sure to keep an eye on them as timing will depend on the oven. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.