Puff Pastry Christmas Tree
on Nov 13, 2022, Updated Nov 10, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My beautiful Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas tree has been a hit for years. This recipe has only three ingredients and even if you mess up, it will be delicious regardless. The ooey gooey Nutella on flakey puff pastry is a combination of flavors that I don’t want you to miss out on.
Why You’ll Love Puff Pastry Christmas Tree
You’re going to love how easy this is to make because simple ingredients come together to form such a beautiful holiday masterpiece that will have your guests ooh-ing and ah-ing. This festive tree 🎄 is the perfect centerpiece for your holiday gathering, whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner. This tree can work as a dessert or side dish with any meal.
How to Prepare Nutella Puff Pastry Christmas Tree
🌟 First, preheat the oven to 400°F. Then, follow the package instructions to defrost the puff pastry and place one sheet on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can use flour, if needed, to prevent sticking.
🍫 Next, melt the Nutella using a double boiler or you could use a microwave and then spread it on the puff pastry sheet.
🔻 Place the second puff pastry sheet on top, dust it with flour, and use a pizza cutter or knife to cut it into a triangle.
⭐ Use scraps to create star shapes and connect leftover dough to form a bigger triangle.
🎄 Now pinch and shape the dough into a Christmas tree, by making cuts on each side and twisting them.
🥚 Finally, brush with egg wash or cooking spray, add the star shapes on top and place any remaining scraps on the baking sheet.
🔥 Bake at 400°F for about 20 minutes or until golden. Dust with icing sugar before enjoying.
To cut and shape the dough, feel free to use a pizza cutter, a ravioli cutter, or even a knife.
Variations and Substitutions
Make this Christmas tree your own! Try some of these variations and have FUN with it.
- Explore different filling variations such as fruit spreads, other chocolate spreads, or even a combination of fruit and chocolate.
- For an extra layer of texture, certainly, feel free to incorporate nuts like hazelnuts or almonds for a satisfying crunch.
- Why not try adding some 🍊orange zest to the Nutella for a different flavor?
- While this recipe is for making a Christmas tree, you could use the concept and directions and create your own design.
If you don’t want to use the egg wash, you are more than welcome to use any cooking spray and spray it on top before you bake it.
Feel free to use a pizza cutter, a ravioli cutter, or even a knife.
You can use any cookie shape or cookie cutter for the stars.
You can use any that you like as long as the two sheets are big enough to form a tree.
In the freezer section of any grocery store.
Puff Pastry Christmas Tree
- 2 puff pastry sheets, 10" by 10 "
- ½ cup Nutella , you can melt in microwave for easy spreading
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- icing sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Defrost the puff pastry as per the package instructions and transfer one sheet onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If anything sticks you can always dust it with flour.
- I melted my Nutella over a double boiler so that it’s very easy to spread but you can do that in the microwave as well. I added the Nutella onto my puff pastry sheet and spread it with the back of my spoon.
- I placed my second puff pastry sheet on top and dusted the top with more flour. Now take a pizza cutter or a knife and cut it into a triangle starting from the top cutting down towards each corner.
- The top right side scraps we can use to make our star shapes by using a cookie cutter. Take the top left side of the dough, lift it, flip it and connect it with your triangle to make this tree into one large triangle.
- Pinch the two triangles together as best as you can. Take the pizza or cookie cutter and cut the bottom so it resembles a tree. Now, make cuts along each each side of the tree and twist each piece.
- Brush the tree with egg wash by mixing one egg+ water into a bowl, add the star shapes on top and brush them as well. Place any remaining scraps on the baking sheet so we can bake them as well.
- Bake at 400F for 20 min or until golden. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.