Puff Pastry Nutella Twists
on Nov 13, 2022, Updated Nov 11, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Puff Pastry Nutella Twists are a must for 🎄 Christmas. The moment these come out of the oven, they disappear within seconds. This dessert has only three ingredients and is so easy to prep. At the end of the day, no one can resist Nutella smeared on flakey puff pastry.
Why You’ll Love Puff Pastry Nutella Twists
You’ll love these Nutella twists for their rich and irresistible 🍫 chocolatey flavor, alongside the light and flaky texture of the puff pastry. This simple recipe is doable for all skill levels, so no need to be a master chef. With a quick baking time of 15-20 minutes, they’re perfect for a freshly baked treat for one or for a group.
Versatile enough for 🍳 breakfast, brunch, or dessert, these twists offer a fun kitchen activity that even your little ones could help you with. Overall, the combination of Nutella, flaky pastry, and ease of preparation makes them a delicious and enjoyable treat.
How to Prepare Puff Pastry Nutella Twists
🔥 Preheat the oven to 400°F and thaw the puff pastry according to package directions.
🍫 Once thawed, roll out one puff pastry sheet and spread Nutella on it, leaving a small border. If the Nutella is hard, you can melt it slightly in the microwave.
⭐ Place the second puff pastry sheet on top and cut into strips. Now, twist each strip and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
🥚 Mix one egg with a little milk or water, then brush it on each twist or use cooking spray.
♨️ Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes until golden and flaky. If you’d like, you can sprinkle powdered sugar on top before eating or serving.
Make sure to thaw the puff pastry as per the package instructions. You can find puff pastry in the freezer section of any grocery store.
Variations and Substitutions
These Puff Pastry Nutella Twists are great as is, but there are also so many options for making them your own culinary creation! Let me know if you try a fun creative twist 😉 of your own.
- Mix it up with your fillings! Instead of Nutella, you could try a fruit jam (like 🍓 strawberry or raspberry). Alternatively, you could add peanut butter to the Nutella or even try a layer of cream cheese before adding the Nutella.
- Try adding a little bit of cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom to the Nutella to change the flavor a bit.
- You could make a glaze with powdered sugar and milk to drizzle over the twists after they come out of the oven.
- Instead of the twist shape, you could attempt to braid the strips or make mini twists with smaller strips.
Personally, I feel that these are best made and served fresh on the same day. The twists will not be as flaky the next day, but they will still be delicious.
No, you don’t have to use Nutella, you can use any hazelnut spread you love.
You can certainly feel free to spray them with cooking spray or oil if you don’t want to use an egg.
You can absolutely use a chocolate spread that is nut-free if you are allergic to nuts.
Puff Pastry Nutella Twists
- 2 puff pastry sheets, 10 by 10 inch
- 15 tablespoons Nutella , measure with your heart
- 1 egg , optional but will give them a beautiful colour
- 1 teaspoon water for the egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Thaw the puff pastry as per the package directions. I purchased a pack of puff pastry that had two 10 x 10” rolls in it.
- Roll out the first puff pastry roll and spread some Nutella on it leaving a very small border. If the Nutella is really hard to spread on you are more than welcome to melted in the microwave for a few seconds just to soften it up.
- Once you are finished spreading it on, add the second puff pastry sheet on top and use a knife or a pizza cutter to make lengthwise strips and then cut across the middle to cut them in half. You don’t have to cut them in half if you want extra long twists.
- Take each strip and twist is with your hands. Place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. In a bowl mix one egg with a little bit of milk or water and lightly brush on each twist or use cooking spray instead.
- Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes or until golden and flakey. Powdered sugar on top is optional and enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.