If you’re looking for a creamy, frozen, chocolatey treat made with wholesome ingredients, this strawberry yogurt bowl with a magic chocolate shell will be your new favorite dessert or snack.
The base consists of vanilla yogurt mixed with finely chopped fresh strawberries and a touch of sweetener. To add some excitement, I melted dark chocolate and poured it on top of the strawberry mixture. I then freeze the dish, so that the chocolate creates a crisp shell. With the hot summer days ahead, this is an easy and healthier alternative to storebought ice cream confections.
The satisfying crunch of breaking through the hard chocolate shell, revealing a strawberry-yogurt filling, is hard to beat. Strawberries and dark chocolate are not only a flavor combo made in heaven, they are also full of antioxidants, while yogurt contributes protein and probiotics, making this the perfect healthy treat.
Strawberry Yogurt Bowl
- 1 cup finely diced strawberries
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- granola or chopped nuts for topping (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the strawberries, yogurt, vanilla, and honey. Mix well and transfer into a bowl.
- To melt the chocolate, create a double boiler on the stovetop or melt the chocolate in the microwave. Create a double-boiler by filling a medium pot with 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Place a heatproof bowl on top of the pot (be sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the simmering water.) Add the chocolate to the bowl. Stir constantly until the chocolate is completely melted. Turn off the heat. Once melted, pour the chocolate on top of the yogurt, making sure you cover the top with a thin layer.
- Pop the dish in the freezer until the chocolate has solidified. Break the shell with a spoon and enjoy!
- Additional toppings: granola or any chopped nuts are optional