This here is comfort food and absolutely divine. It’s everything I want in a plate of pasta. It’s creamy, delicious and to be honest if I could have pasta for all 3 meals of the day, I totally would lol. Pasta is probably my favourite food in the world and I can never get enough. If you are dairy-free I will give you alternatives in the notes. This Penne Alla Vodka recipe makes 2 big portions. You will need:
Penne Alla Vodka
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 very small onion or shallot
- chilli flakes are optional
- 4 finely diced garlic cloves
- pancetta is optional — I left it out for anyone that doesn’t eat bacon
- ⅓ cup any vodka
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup plain tomato sauce or as much as you like
- salt to taste
- splash of heavy cream — I used about 1/3 cup you can use more
- freshly grated parm is up to you. I added 1/2 cup
- 350 grams penne cooked in boiling salted water
- splash of pasta water
- In a skillet on medium heat add the olive oil and heat it up. Add the onions or shallot and sauté until translucent. Add the chilli flakes and garlic and give it a stir.
- Pour in the vodka and make sure you cook it off completely. Once it has cooked off you can add in the tomato paste, tomato sauce, and salt to taste.
- Cover with a lid and let it reduce for 5 to 10 minutes on low heat. Add as much heavy cream as you like and Parm and give it a stir.
- Keep the heat on low and let it simmer and thicken until you cook your pasta.
- Cook the pasta of choice in boiling salted water until al dente and once it’s done you can add it into your pan with a little bit of the starchy cooking water. Give it a stir, and enjoy.
I recently made this and it was phenomenal! It turned out even better than the one at my local restaurant that I have ordered probably 10 times before. Thank you!
wow this is a HUGE compliment! So happy Heather