This is the best simple green salad recipe. This Bulgarian green salad has been on my family’s table for generations. Any time we have ever served this salad to guests, it’s devoured in seconds and we are always asked how it’s made. Finally, I’m sharing my family’s recipe. This salad is so simple yet bursting with flavor. The secret to its success is slicing the lettuce as thinly as possible, which allows the flavors to marinate all throughout. If you know me, you know that I cannot eat lettuce in huge chunks so the way salad is cut makes ALL the difference in the world.
The Best Green Salad
- 3 eggs (optional)
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 5 red radishes, halved and thinly cut thinly
- 3 green onions, sliced
- olive oil to taste
- white balsamic vinegar to taste
- salt to taste
- If making the hard-boiled eggs, boil the eggs for 8 to 10 minutes. While they are boiling, prepare a bowl of ice water. Once finished cooking, transfer the eggs to the ice water. This will make them easier to peel.
- Stack the lettuce leaves, roll them tightly (just like a cigar), and thinly slice the lettuce. The thinner the better, but you can cut the lettuce in any way you prefer.
- Note: If you need a full tutorial on how I cute lettuce, you can look at this recipe tutorial here How to Thinly Slice Lettuce, Basil, Spinach and Many Other Leafy Greens
- Transfer the lettuce to a serving bowl along with the cucumber, radishes, and green onions. Season to taste with olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, and salt. Give everything a good a toss.
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and cut them in half. Nestle in the egg halves on top of the salad and season each egg with a touch of salt and tiny drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!