Simple Green Salad
on Apr 01, 2023, Updated Jul 07, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is the best simple green salad recipe. This Bulgarian green salad has been on my family’s table for generations. Any time we have ever served this salad to guests, it’s devoured in seconds, and we are always asked how it’s made. Finally, I’m sharing my family’s recipe! This salad is so simple yet bursting with flavor. The secret to its success is slicing the lettuce as thinly as possible, which allows the flavors of the dressing to marinate all throughout. If you know me, you know that I cannot eat lettuce in huge chunks so the way salad is cut makes ALL the difference in the world.
Table of Contents
The hard-boiled eggs are optional, but they lend a nice serving of protein and make the salad a bit more substantial. The vegetables in this salad are meant to highlight some of spring and summer’s best produce: crunchy lettuce, juicy cucumber, peppery radishes, and oniony scallions aka green onions.
The Best Green Salad
- 3 eggs, (optional)
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 5 red radishes, halved and thinly cut
- 3 green onions, sliced
- olive oil , to taste
- white balsamic vinegar, to taste
- salt to taste
- If making the hard-boiled eggs, boil the eggs for 8 to 10 minutes. While they are boiling, prepare a bowl of ice water. Once finished cooking, transfer the eggs to the ice water. This will make them easier to peel and stop them from overcooking.
- Stack the lettuce leaves, roll them tightly (just like a cigar), and thinly slice the lettuce. The thinner the better, but you can cut the lettuce in any way you prefer.
- Note: If you need a full tutorial on how I cut lettuce, you can look at this recipe tutorial here: How to Thinly Slice Lettuce, Basil, Spinach and Many Other Leafy Greens
- Transfer the lettuce to a serving bowl along with the cucumber, radishes, and green onions. Season to taste with olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, and salt. Give everything a good a toss.
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and cut them in half. Nestle the egg halves on top of the salad and season each egg with a touch of salt and tiny drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!