Baked Parmesan Chicken
on May 26, 2023, Updated Jun 06, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My baked parmesan chicken and potatoes take 5 minutes to prep and it’s the perfect one dish meal. The Parmigiano Reggiano on top of the chicken gives the ultimate crust and flavor whilst the yogurt marinade makes it incredibly juicy. The potatoes melt in your mouth and the sauce at the bottom of the dish is perfect for dipping. This meal pairs incredibly well with some feta on the side, grilled veggies, or a nice green salad.
If you’ve been here for a while, you know that my family and I have been marinating meat in Yogurt for as long as I can remember. Yogurt tenderizes meats and gives you the most incredible outcome. If you’re looking for more yogurt marinated recipes be sure to check out my Juicy Yogurt Lemon Chicken, my Juiciest 6 Ingredient Chicken or my Juicy Lemon Pepper Yogurt Chicken.
Although yogurt is not a secret ingredient to us or other cultures like India, it is a secret ingredient to a lot of other people around the world. My family and I have been cooking and tenderizing meat with yogurt for generations and it’s by far my favorite way. Other alternatives that I love besides yogurt for marinades are sour cream or even mayo so feel free to experiment and make it your own.
Baked Parmesan Chicken
- 4 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 10 chicken drumsticks or thighs
- ¼ cup olive oil + a drizzle on top
- 1.5-2 teaspoons salt, to taste , I used Redmond real salt which is not AS salty as table salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon dry oregano, to taste
- ½ cup plain yogurt , I use Balkan-style
- finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top , measure with your heart
- chives or lemon thyme for garnish, optional*
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut each potato in half, place each half flat side down cutting right down the middle and then across making equal cubes (or small quarters).
- Add the potatoes the baking dish (making sure they don't overlap much) and the chicken as well.
- Add the olive oil, seasoning, yogurt and massage really well.
- Arrange the chicken and potatoes nicely into the baking dish making sure the potatoes are at the bottom and the drumsticks are nestled in sitting on top so they can crisp up.
- Drizzle on a touch of olive oil on top and dust the top of the chicken and potatoes with finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Cover with foil (or a lid) and bake for 45 minutes covered and 40 minutes uncovered. The timing will depend on the oven so keep an eye on it. The chicken is ready when it's golden and reaches an internal temperature of 175F.
- Take it out of the oven, let it cool for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!
- Perfect pairings: feta cheese, fresh bread, green salad, or grilled veggies.