How To Make a Butter Board
on Sep 18, 2022, Updated Dec 22, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Have you heard of a butter board 🧈? In my opinion, these are better than a cheese board, a charcuterie board, or any other board I have ever seen. In this post, I will show you how to make a butter board for your next date night, girl’s night, or any gathering.
I came across this viral video on TikTok shared by Justine Snacks and thought it was brilliant. The original concept is by Josh McFadden, but this is my modern take on it 🤌.
What is a Butter Board
A butter board is essentially a board where you can spread softened butter and add toppings of your choice. It is served along with a loaf of fresh bread 🥖. My board has the most beautiful ingredients and textures on it, and I know you’ll fall in love.
Why You’ll Love This Butter Board
This version has flakey sea salt, fresh figs, fig preserve, walnuts for crunch, and hot honey for a little bit of spice 🌶️. These flavors slathered on a fresh piece of bread will have you and your guests begging for more.
This butter board is perfect for a large gathering or party. You can serve it with lots of fresh bread on the side and individual butter knives for all your guests. It is going to be the most incredible show-stopping board at every party; I can guarantee it. This board serves 10+ people so feel free to adjust.
Variations and Substitutions
There are so many ways to personalize a holiday butter board, including:
- Feel free to use a creamy cheese, like Boursin, instead of butter. Check out my Goat Cheese Board recipe.
- You can also make this board totally vegan by using a plant-based spreadable cheese and using agave instead of honey 🍯.
- If you don’t have hot honey you can use regular honey, make my Easy Hot Honey recipe, or mix honey with chili flakes.
- You can use crushed or candied pistachios, hazelnuts, almonds, or any nuts you love 🌰.
The butter should be softened so that it’s easy to spread, and you can use any board you have at home. This can even be made on a plate.
Best Served With
- Warm, sliced crusty bread is a must alongside a butter board. A fresh baguette is the perfect choice.
- You could also serve this with pita bread cut into triangles and warmed for a few minutes in the oven.
- For easy entertaining, serve this board as a starter, followed by a light and refreshing salad, such as my Fennel and Cherry Salad or Simple Green Salad.
These wooden butter knives are perfect for hosting and leaving them out for your guests to use.
A board like this is perfect for hosting or making any of my charcuterie or butter board recipes!
Cutting boards, especially wood ones, can retain contaminants and germs, even after a thorough washing. To prevent cross-contamination with whatever was previously prepared on the board, use parchment paper to line it.
Absolutely! You can use vegan butter or a vegan, spreadable cheese.
You can line your board in parchment and spread the softened butter across the parchment the night before serving. Store in the refrigerator, and then add the toppings at the last minute, before serving.
How To Make a Butter Board
- 2 sticks butter, salted or unsalted, softened
- fresh lemon zest
- flaky sea salt
- fig preserve, a few dollops
- 2 fresh figs, cut into round slices
- ¼ cup crushed walnuts
- hot honey, or regular honey, for drizzling
- fresh herbs or edible flowers , for presentation (I used lemon thyme)
- fresh bread , for serving
- Line a serving or cutting board in parchment paper. Take the softened butter and smear it onto the parchment. Make it look presentable and layer in swirls on the serving board.
- Sprinkle on the salt and lemon zest; measure everything with your heart. I take my knife and dollop on the fig preserve, add my fig slices and drizzle on hot honey. Add the crushed walnuts and garnish with lemon thyme, herbs of choice, or edible flowers. Serve with fresh bread and enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.