How To Make a Butter Board. Have you heard of a butter board? If you haven’t you are missing out on the greatest creation I have ever come across. A butter board is better than a cheese board, a Charcuterie board, and any other board I have ever seen. I came across this viral video on TikTok shared by Justine Snacks and thought it was brilliant. The original concept is by Josh McFadden, but this is my modern take on it.
What is a butter board?
A butter board is simply a board that you add softened butter on, and any toppings you like, served with a loaf of fresh bread of course. My board has the most beautiful ingredients and textures on it, and I know you’ll fall in love. My board has flakey sea salt, fresh figs, fig preserve, walnuts for crunch, and hot honey for a little bit of spice. These flavours slathered on a fresh piece of bread will have you and your guests begging for more. This butter board is perfect made for two if you cut the recipe or even a large gathering or party as featured. You can serve it with lots of fresh bread on the side and individual butter knives for all your guests. It is going to be the most incredible show-stopping board at every party, I can guarantee it. This board serves 10+ people so feel free to adjust.
How To Make a Butter Board
- 2 sticks 1 cup of softened unsalted butter (you can use salted as well)
- lemon zest sea salt to taste or use any coarse or flakey sea salt you like
- few dollops fig preserve as much as you like
- two figs cut into round slices
- ¼ cup of crushed walnuts
- drizzle of hot honey or regular honey
- any herbs or edible flowers for presentation are optional I used lemon thyme
- Take the softened butter and smear it onto your wooden board. Make sure to make it look presentable and layer in swirls on the serving board.
- Sprinkle on the salt, measure everything with your heart. I take my knife and dollop on the fig preserve, add my fig slices and drizzle of hot honey. Add the crushed walnuts and garnish with lemon thyme, herbs of choice, or edible flowers. Serve with fresh bread and enjoy.
- You can make this with any toppings you personally love like other preserves or jam. You can use any crushed nuts of choice like pistachios as well.
- Feel free to use salted or unsalted butter and you can also make this board totally vegan by using a plant-based butter and using agave instead of honey.
- The butter should be softened so that it’s easy to spread and you can use any board you have at home. This can even be made on a plate as well.
- I used a small wooden board, but you can use any you have on hand. Mine is 9 inches long by 7 inches wide.
- If you are not into butter, simply do this with goat cheese or whipped feta. Any creamy cheese will work
- If you don’t want to dirty up the board, simply place a piece of parchment paper underneath and layer on the butter.
You may also like my Butter Board with goat cheese