Holiday Cheese Balls
on Nov 28, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Encrusted with crunchy hazelnuts and sweet, caramelly dates, these Holiday Cheese Balls are going to be your go-to holiday appetizer! This recipe is the perfect marriage between sweet, salty, crunchy and creamy 🤤 – the ultimate combo if you ask me.
Why You’ll Love Holiday Cheese Balls
These Holiday Cheese Balls are not only incredibly easy to make, but they are also perfect for any holiday gathering, potluck, or a relaxing wine night 🍷 at home. You can even prepare them in advance and customize the flavour combo to your liking. Nothing beats a low-effort, low-maintenance app that yields maximum flavor like this recipe.
How to Prepare Holiday Cheese Balls
🌰 Process hazelnuts in a food processor until fine. Then add pitted dates and continue processing until a crumbly sticky texture is formed. Now, transfer the date and nut mixture onto a plate and set aside.
🧀 Unwrap a laughing cow cheese, place it on saran wrap, then and add a teaspoon of the nut and date mixture. Wrap it up and roll it into a ball.
⭐ Unwrap the cheese ball, and then roll it in the nut and date paste, gently pressing to make it stick. Then, repeat the process for the remaining cheese balls.
🌿 Place the cheese balls on a plate and insert a piece of rosemary into each one.
Enjoy the cheese balls with crackers or 🥖 freshly baked bread! You can also use Boursin cheese or any other creamy cheese of choice.
Variations and Substitutions
These 🎄 festive hazelnut cheese balls could be made with almost any soft cheese or nuts. As always, don’t forget to tell me what you try in the comments!
- Instead of hazelnuts, you can use almonds, walnuts, pecans, or a mix of your favorite nuts. You could even experiment with 🔥 roasted nuts for a different flavor option.
- If you don’t have pitted dates on hand, you could substitute them with something such as dried figs, apricots, or raisins.
- I used Laughing Cow cheese in this recipe, but you can try other soft cheeses like cream cheese, goat cheese, Brie, or a 🌿 herbed cheese like Boursin.
- Feel free to add a pinch of spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom to the nut and date mixture.
- If you or your guests are 🥛 dairy-free or vegan, definitely try a soft dairy-free cheese or a combination of cheeses.
- Additionally, if you need a nut-free option, you could try a combination of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or flaxseeds. However, keep in mind that they may have a different texture and taste compared to nuts.
|Product Name / Primary Rating / Price
Yes, you can certainly experiment with different soft cheeses like cream cheese, goat cheese, Brie, or a soft herbed cheese like Boursin for a different flavor.
Yes, you can prepare the nut and date mixture and shape the cheese balls ahead of time. Refrigerate them until ready to serve.
Absolutely! Choose a plant-based cream cheese or nut-based cheese, and ensure that all ingredients, including sweeteners, are dairy-free or vegan-friendly.
These cheese balls pair well with crackers, sliced baguette, or vegetable sticks.
Store them in the refrigerator, and they should stay fresh for 2-3 days. However, it’s best to enjoy them soon after preparation for optimal flavor and texture.
Holiday Cheese Balls
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- ½ cup pitted dates
- 6 laughing cow cheese triangles
- 6 sprigs of rosemary
- In a food processor, process the hazelnuts until fine. Add the pitted dates and process until a crumbly sticky texture. Transfer the date and nut mixture onto a plate and set aside.
- Take the laughing cow cheese, unwrap one and place onto a piece of saran wrap. Put a teaspoon of the nut and date mixture, wrap it up and roll into a ball.
- Unwrap the cheese ball and roll again into the nut and date paste making sure to gently press so that it sticks.
- Repeat this step for the remaining cheese balls. Once done, add the cheese balls onto a plate and insert a piece of rosemary into each one. Enjoy with crackers or fresh bread!