Healthy Shrimp Bowl
on Jan 16, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My healthy shrimp bowl is one of my favourite quick and easy weekday meals. It takes 15 minutes from start to finish and it’s perfect for meal prep as well. The protein in this recipe is interchangeable so feel free to substitute for chickpeas, cubed chicken breast, tofu, salmon, or anything else you prefer.
Table of Contents
Healthy Shrimp Bowl
- 7 peeled deveined, jumbo shrimp, I cut each one into 5 pieces
- tablespoon of avocado oil, or any you like
- salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder , measure with your heart
- spicy mayo to taste, I mixed my favourite mayo with sriracha
- ½ cup cooked jasmine rice
- thinly sliced cucumber, I used a julienne peeler
- thinly sliced carrots, I used a julienne peeler
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped chives for garnish
- Cook 1/4 cup dry jasmine or sushi rice as per the package instructions in a rice cooker or on the stove. I like to add a pinch of salt to my rice and water before it boils.
- Defrost the shrimp as per the package instructions. Mine are jumbo tiger shrimp that were already peeled and deveined. I cut each shrimp into 5 pieces and add them to a bowl.
- Add the oil to the shrimp and seasonings to taste. You can also use any seafood seasoning of your choice. Mix it well and heat up a skillet on the stove.
- Add in the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes, until the shrimp curls up and changes colour. Set it aside, optionally drizzle on a teaspoon of spicy mayo and mix.
- Assemble the bowl by adding the cooked rice, thinly sliced or julienned cucumber and carrots and the saucy shrimp. Drizzle on some extra spicy mayo, garnish with chives and enjoy!
If you want to add a touch of rice vinegar to the cooked rice you are more than welcome to. Sometimes I do, other times I don’t. I used 7 extra jumbo black tiger shrimp which were peeled and deveined. Make sure to thaw the shrimp and pat it dry. I then cut each shrimp into 5 small pieces. Any protein of choice will work for this recipe so please feel free to experiment. You can find my julienne peeler linked here for CANADA and here for USA