If you love Magnum ice cream bars, then you will love this Magnum Ice Cream Magic Shell Bowl. The satisfying crunch of biting through the hard chocolate shell, revealing a creamy, sweet, and smooth filling is hard to beat. With the hot summer days ahead, this is an easy and healthier alternative to one of my favorite desserts. I love Magnum ice cream and believe anything can be enjoyed in moderation, so if you want to treat yourself, please go ahead and enjoy. But, if you’re looking for an alternative treat that is dairy-free and completely plant based, this is the recipe for you!
Healthier Magic Shell Bowl
- 2 frozen bananas
- 2 tablespoons nut milk, such as almond milk plus more as needed
- dash of pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips (I used vegan, semi-sweet)
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- crushed nuts (optional)
- In a high-power blender, blend the frozen bananas with the nut milk and vanilla, adding more milk as needed, a small dash at a time, until the desired ice cream-like consistency is reached. Pour the contents of the blender into a bowl. Smooth out the "nice cream."
- Create a double-boiler by filling a medium pot with 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Place a heatproof bowl on top of the pot (be sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the simmering water.) Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to the bowl. Stir constantly until the chocolate is completely melted. Turn off the heat. You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave as well.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the nice cream. I swirl it around as it makes an even layer.
- Freeze the bowl of nice cream for 5 to 10 minutes, until the chocolate has solidified. Top with nuts (if using) and crack it open with a spoon. Enjoy!