When nature gives you candy you make chocolate covered dates that are filled with homemade Nutella, nut butter, or both. This is a beautiful and delicious treat that will take you 10 minutes to make and two seconds to devour. This treat beats any chocolate bar out there for me and it’s so satisfying. It is chocolatey, nutty, creamy, salty, sweet and crunchy. It tastes like a delicious chocolate caramel treat. If you are not a lover of dates, I want you to trust me on this and make it because this recipe will change your mind. This recipe makes 16 Chocolate Covered Dates.
Chocolate Covered Dates with Nutella and Nut Butter
- 16 Medjool dates
- 16 teaspoons of nut or hazelnut spread or both
- 16 walnut pieces or pecans or leave it out
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips or any
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil is optional for shine
- Start by cutting each date length wise down the middle. Open it up and take out the pit. Add a little bit of nut or seed butter and you can also use my Easy Homemade Healthier Nutella – The Modern Nonna if Feel free to make some just with hazelnut spread or just nut/seed butter or even both. You can make them and fill them with anything you enjoy.
- Optionally, you can add a walnut or a pecan and press it together. Set the dates aside and melt the chocolate chips over a double boiler on the stove.
- In a pot I let my water come to a simmer and I add a heat-proof bowl on top. I add the chocolate chips and coconut oil and stir until it melts fully.
- Take the melted chocolate off the heat and dip the dates and coat them fully. Please eat chocolate covered date onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze them for 20-30 minutes.
- Take them out of the freezer and you can drizzle on a little more melted chocolate for presentation and a pinch of sea salt if you wish.
- Store them in a Tupperware in the fridge as they will ask you for weeks. Enjoy.