If you’ve never made Nutella at home you are totally missing out. It takes 20 minutes from start to finish and it’s a much healthier alternative to the traditional delicious chocolate spread we all love. Don’t get me wrong, I will always dip my spoon into a nice jar of Nutella when I have that craving, but if you want a really delicious and healthy alternative this is for you. Feel free to adjust the sugar because the sweetness is going to be according to taste. This Easy Homemade Healthier Nutella recipe makes one 250ml jar so feel free to double it if you wish. You will need:
Easy Homemade Healthier Nutella
- 250 grams 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil — or hazelnut oil
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla bean paste — or extract
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar — or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Add the nuts to a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the skin begins to peel off and they are fully roasted. Let them cool for a few minutes and pour them out onto a clean kitchen towel.
- Close up the sides of the kitchen towel and rub them up and down with your hands to release the skins. Remove as much of the skin as possible but don’t stress if there’s some left. I usually remove 70-80% of mine.
- Add them to a food processor or a blender and process on high speed for 5 to 6 minutes. You might need to open the food processor 2 to 3 times just to scrape down the sides and help it along.
- Once the hazelnuts start to look like nut butter you can add the avocado oil through the spout. As soon as you have a very smooth and creamy texture, open up the food processor and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Process for another minute or two until everything is combined and pour it out into a small mason jar.
- Store it in the pantry and enjoy. I love to use the spread in my baking recipes, on toast, in my tiramisù oats, muffins, and so much more.