Roasted delicata squash with a honey walnut topping. Delicata squash is one of my favourite types of squash because unlike other squash varieties, you can actually eat the skin. There’s nothing more time consuming than peeling and cutting squash, especially when the skin can be super tough. With delicata squash, you don’t have to worry about that. The skin is so delicate and delicious and it makes for the most beautiful presentation on the table. Fall is my favourite time of year and this side dish is “The Modern Nonna” on a plate. I have combined the flavours of sweet, salty, crunchy, creamy, and buttery to give you the most beautiful side dish. This squash recipe is perfect for fall and any holiday like thanksgiving. It can also be made 100 percent plant-based and super inclusive to everyone. If you make it please leave me a comment, and let me know how you liked it.
Roasted Delicata Squash
- 1.5 lb delicata squash (560 grams)
- 1 tbsp butter + 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- ½ cup crushed walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- thyme for garnish
- Wash and pat dry the squash. Cut off each end and carefully cut it directly in half. Scoop out the seeds, place the squash flesh side down and cut it into quarter inch half moons all the way down.
- Melt the butter on the stove, take it off the heat and stir in the coconut sugar and olive oil. Pre-heat the oven to 425F. Place the squash on a lined baking sheet and drizzle on the butter mixture.
- Massage the squash really well so that every piece is coated and sprinkle on a touch of cinnamon all over.
- Bake for 30 minutes on the middle rack or until the squash is soft but golden on the bottom. The time will depend on the oven so keep a close eye on it. Take it off the heat and let it cool down for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, crush the walnuts in a food processor or in a ziplock bag using a mallet, meat tenderizer or a rolling pin, and add them to a bowl. Add the honey and cinnamon and combine until a sticky mixture.
- Add the delicata squash to a bowl or plate, and top it off with the walnut-honey topping. Garnish with thyme and enjoy.
What do you line your baking sheet with?
Looks great – thinking of doing this as another side – have a couple of vegetarians. Can I make the day before and reheat – have lots of dishes and only one oven:)
You absolutely can but I do like veggies fresh more