on May 16, 2023, Updated May 30, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Making pickled onions is easier than you think. Did you know you only need one ingredient and 2 minutes of time to make the BEST spicy pickled onions? This is my best kept secret when it comes to quick condiments, and something I make weekly. We use these pickled onions on salads, wraps, souvlaki, burgers, and so much more! They are such a simple way to add a flavor burst to any dish.
Table of Contents
My quick-pickled onions have a hint of sweetness, crunch, a touch of spice, and are outstanding. If you don’t like spicy flavors, you can simply use the pickling juice from any other pickled veg, such as pickles or olives. I don’t let anything go to waste and this is one of my favorite hacks to use up that amazing pickling juice instead of throwing it out.
- 1 jar pickled pepperoncini or any pickled veg
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced into thin circles
- Purchase a jar of any pickled veg (or use one you already have). I used pepperoncini this time but any pickled veggies will work.
- Once the jar is empty of most or all solids, save the pickling liquid. Add the sliced onions to the jar and gently press the onions down with the back of a spoon, making sure the onions are fully submerged in the pickling liquid.
- Put the lid back on and leave it in the fridge overnight. The following day you will be left with delicious pickled onions that you can use as the perfect topping to your favorite recipes. Enjoy!