Love Letter Pastries
on Feb 03, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Looking for a sweet and romantic treat to surprise your loved ones? Look no further and make the cutest Love Letter Pastries 💌! Made with delicate puff pastry and a generous dollop of jam, these pastries are folded into the shape of a love letter and baked to flaky perfection. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply want to show your appreciation, Love Letter Pastries will make hearts flutter.
Why You’ll Love My Love Letter Pastries
The pastry is light and flaky, with a buttery richness that melts in your mouth. The filling is sweet and fruity, with a generous dollop of jam that oozes out when you take a bite.
How to Prepare My Love Letter Pastries
🔥 Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
🧊 Thaw puff pastry following the package instructions and cut it into equal squares.
💠 Flip each square to form a diamond shape.
🍓 Add jam to the center, fold the sides, then fold the bottom to create a letter-like shape.
❤️ Use a mini heart cookie cutter to cut out hearts and place one in the middle of each pastry.
💌 Place the prepared pastries on a lined baking sheet.
🥚 Make an egg wash by mixing one egg with water or milk and then brush each pastry with the wash.
♨️ Bake until golden and flaky and then dust the Love Letter Pastries with icing sugar before serving. Enjoy!
Nonna’s Tip 💌
You can get creative and use any filling you like such as Nutella, fig jam, cherry jam, or make an assortment of each one.
Variations and Substitutions for My Love Letter Pastries
These cute Love Letter Pastries can be made with several different fillings or other variations. Don’t forget to let me know in the comments how you make these your own! Remember that when you make changes you may need to experiment and adjust quantities and baking times.
- Instead of jam, use fresh fruits like sliced 🍓 strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries.
- Try different types of preserves, such as apricot, raspberry, or blackberry.
- Use 🍫 chocolate chips or Nutella for your filling instead of jam.
- Try a savory version with pie crust and fill it with cheese, 🌿 herbs, and ham.
- Instead of dusting with icing sugar, drizzle the Love Letter Pastries with a simple glaze made of powdered sugar and 🥛 milk.
- Brush pastries with melted butter 🧈 instead of an egg wash.
Best Served With
- Coffee or tea 🫖
Yes, you can try using crescent roll dough or in a pinch, phyllo dough as an alternative to puff pastry. Phyllo dough will not have the same flavor as puff pastry.
You can use fresh fruits like berries, chocolate chips, Nutella, or different types of preserves such as apricot or raspberry.
You can brush the Love Letter Pastries with butter instead of an egg wash, or you can skip this step.
Yes, you can prepare the pastries, freeze them on a baking sheet, and then store them in a sealed container until ready to bake.
Sure! Feel free to add whatever chopped nuts to the filling, such as almonds, walnuts, or pecans.
I used a mini heart cookie cutter to create the heart shape in the middle of the Love Letter Pastries.
Love Letter Pastries
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 6 tablespoons jam, any you like
- 1 egg, for the egg wash
- 1 tablespoon water (or milk) , for the egg wash
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Thaw the puff pastry as per the package instructions.
- Once thawed, cut into equal sized squares.
- Flip the square over so that it looks like a diamond shape when it's facing you.
- Add the jam to the center of the square and fold over the sides. Now fold the bottom so that the pastry looks like a letter.
- Now, cut out hearts with a mini heart cookie cutter and place the heart on top directly in the middle which will cover the two sides that connect.
- Repeat this step until all of the letters are completed.
- Place them on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the egg wash, add one egg to a bowl with a touch of water or milk and mix well.
- Brush each envelope with egg wash and bake until golden and flaky.
- Dust with icing sugar and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.