This Italian chopped sandwich gets a score of 500/10…it’s that good! Have you seen the Italian chopped sandwich going viral on TikTok? If you haven’t, be sure to make my version of it because it’s WORTH the hype. Although this sandwich is nowhere near being Italian nor traditional, my version is made with great quality Italian ingredients, some of which you may already have on hand.
I use good quality and fresh Italian ingredients such as provolone, mortadella, Prosciutto cotto, and pepperoncini, which are accompanied by a creamy mayo, Italian seasoning, and pepperoncini juice dressing. This sandwich only takes 10 minutes from start to finish and I guarantee it will hit the spot.
What makes this sandwich special is that every ingredient is chopped as finely as possible. This allows you to get the perfect bite every time. This sandwich is absolutely perfect for a picnic, school lunches, or if you like going camping. You can prep all of the ingredients the night before (leaving the lettuce and the bread on the side so that it doesn’t get soggy) and assemble the following day.
Italian Chopped Sandwich
- 2 cups finely chopped lettuce of choice I used iceberg
- 3 slices prosciutto cotto or any sliced ham
- 3 slices mortadella
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- ⅓ cup sliced pepperoncini (optional)
- brioche hotdog buns, or any you like
- ¼ cup mayo
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- 1 tablespoon pepperoncini juice
- Add the lettuce to a clean cutting board with slices of prosciutto cotto, mortadella, provolone cheese, and pepperoncini (if using).
- With a big sharp knife, chop everything as small as possible. Note: You can transfer this chopped mixture into a bowl and add the dressing or simply add it on top.
- Once finely chopped, add the mayo, Italian seasoning and the pickled juice from the pepperoncini jar.
- Mix well and add to your favorite bun. I love the brioche hot dog buns but you can use any you like. Enjoy!