My healthier chocolate magic shell bowl takes a smooth, fruity, and naturally sweet strawberry-apple smoothie and tops it with decadent chocolate, which hardens into a crunchy shell. This frozen dessert is so simple and satisfying.
Healthier Chocolate Magic Shell bowl
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips (see notes below)
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- ½ cup apple sauce or any fruit puree you love
- 1 to 2 tablespoons nut milk
- chopped nuts for topping (optional)
- You can melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. To set up a double boiler, fill a saucepan halfway with water and bring to a simmer. Place a heat-safe bowl on top of the pan, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the simmering water.
- If using a double boiler, add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to the heat-safe bowl and let warm, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is fully melted, 2 to 5 minutes. If microwaving, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave, stirring every 30 seconds or so, until the chocolate is fully melted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the strawberries, apple sauce, and nut milk to a blender and blend until fully combined and smooth, using a blender tamper as needed, about 1 minute.
- Add the frozen strawberry mixture to a bowl and pour over as much melted chocolate as you like. Swirl the chocolate around to fully distribute it. Place the bowl in the freezer to allow the chocolate to harden, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped nuts, if using, and enjoy.