on Sep 29, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Fajita Salad – a twist on a beloved Tex-Mex classic. This vibrant salad takes all the sensational flavors of traditional chicken fajitas, made with a modern twist.
Tender, marinated chicken 🐔, sautéed veggies, and a medley of spices are married with lettuce, cucumber, and red onions, then drizzled with a creamy yogurt dressing. If you’re a fan of fajitas, you’ll adore this lighter, yet equally satisfying, salad rendition.
Why You’ll Love Fajita Salad
One of the fantastic aspects of Chicken Fajita Salad is how we can repurpose the leftovers of my classic Chicken Fajitas. By taking the same marinated chicken, sizzling veggies, and spices and reinventing them in the form of a vibrant salad, you’re get to enjoy another meal.
It’s a brilliant way to savor the irresistible flavors of fajitas with a lighter and fresher approach.
How to Prepare Fajita Salad
- Start by following the initial steps of my Chicken Fajita recipe, which involve preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or adjusting the temperature for chicken breast in an air fryer.
- Take the chicken, thinly sliced onion, bell pepper, jalapeno (if desired), and blend of seasonings, tossing them in a drizzle of olive oil or avocado oil. Then, spread it onto a baking sheet or air fryer basket, cooking it until the chicken is fully done, and the vegetables are caramelized.
- While the fajita cooks, assemble the salad. Begin with a bed of fresh lettuce, and then layer on slices of crisp cucumber and thinly sliced red onion. Once the chicken and veggies have cooled slightly, place them over the vibrant greens.
- For the finishing touch, whip up a creamy yogurt dressing by combining yogurt, a pinch of salt, a drizzle of olive oil, and lemon juice to taste, making sure it’s well-mixed.
- Pour the dressing over the Chicken Fajita Salad, or serve it on the side.
You can use the air-fryer or oven for this recipe.
Variations and Substitutions
- Feel free to use your preferred protein, such as shrimp, beef, or tofu, to create your own version of this salad.
- Experiment with additional vegetables like cherry tomatoes, avocado slices, or roasted corn for extra crunch and color.
- Swap out the lettuce for spinach, arugula, or mixed greens to change the salad’s flavor profile.
Best Served With
- Enjoy your salad with a side of crispy tortilla chips with some Easy Roasted Salsa or Guacamole.
- Try the salad with some Mexican Street Corn (Elote) or even just plain grilled or boiled corn on the cob with a sprinkle of chili powder and lime juice complements the salad beautifully.
- Make a side of seasoned black beans and Mexican rice.
Absolutely! You can swap the chicken for your choice of protein, such as steak, shrimp, or even tofu, to create a different version of the salad.
Yes, you can prepare the yogurt dressing in advance and refrigerate it. Just give it a good stir before drizzling it over the salad.
Certainly! Freshly grated cheese, such as cheddar or cotija, can be a delicious addition if you enjoy cheesy salads.
Store any leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Keep the dressing separate, and when you’re ready to enjoy the leftovers, drizzle the dressing just before serving.
To keep the salad crisp, ensure that the cooked chicken and veggies have cooled slightly before placing them on the lettuce bed. Additionally, avoid overdressing the salad; you can serve extra dressing on the side.
You can use various types of lettuce, such as romaine, iceberg, or mixed greens, depending on your preference. Choose one that provides the texture and flavor you like.
- 1 onion, I used a yellow onion but any works
- 8 mini bell peppers , or 2 regular ones
- 4 chicken thighs boneless, skinless, but you can also use chicken breast
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder , or any chili/fajita seasoning making sure it's unsalted. If it contains salt, leave out the salt in this recipe
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1 pinch salt , to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F or adjust the temperature for chicken on the air fryer. Take the sliced chicken, thinly sliced onion, bell pepper, jalapeno (if desired), and the seasonings, tossing them in a drizzle of olive oil or avocado oil.
- Then, spread this onto a baking sheet or air fryer basket, cooking it until the chicken is fully done, and the vegetables achieve a delightful caramelized finish.
- While the fajita filling cooks, assemble the salad.
- Begin with a bed of fresh lettuce, and then layer on slices of crisp cucumber and thinly sliced red onion.
- Once the chicken and veggies have cooled slightly, place them over the vibrant greens.
- For the finishing touch, whip up a creamy yogurt dressing by combining yogurt, a pinch of salt, a drizzle of olive oil, and lemon juice to taste, ensuring it’s well-mixed.
- Pour the dressing over your Chicken Fajita Salad, or serve it on the side.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.