Once you try my homemade roasted salsa, you will never buy store-bought. This is also the perfect time to use up any tomatoes, peppers, that you have on hand. Now although this is not an authentic Mexican recipe, I would love for you to tell me in the comments how you make your traditional version of this delicious dish. This is my take on a delicious salsa and I hope you love it too. It’s so good that I can literally eat it with a spoon. You can absolutely take it a step further and make your own tortilla chips to dip with, but if you are in a pinch you can use store-bought tortilla chips like I did.
Easy Roasted Salsa
- 6 tomatoes cut in half, I used a variety from the garden I used about 2 lbs.
- ½ large red onion that’s peeled and sliced
- 3 sweet banana peppers cut in half Cubanelle or Sheppard also work
- 2 jalapeños that are halved you can also use a bell pepper if you don’t like heat
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil avocado oil is also okay
- 1 whole head of garlic + 1 additional teaspoon of olive oil on top
- handful of parsley or cilantro about 1/2 cup or as much as you like
- Pre-heat the oven to 425F. On a baking dish lined with parchment paper, add the tomatoes, onion, banana peppers, jalapeños, olive oil and salt. Give it a massage, make sure the tomatoes lay flat side down and all the veggies are in a single layer on the baking sheet without overlapping each other. Cut the top of a whole garlic bulb to expose the garlic, and place it on a little piece of parchment paper. Add a touch of olive oil on top, wrap it up and bake everything together at 425F for 40-45 minutes or until roasted.
- Remove the tray from the oven and unwrap the garlic bulb. Once it’s cooled you can squeeze it out into a food processor or blender with the rest of the ingredients on the sheet pan. Feel free to remove the tomato skins if you wish before adding them to the food processor or blender. Add a handful of parsley or cilantro and a pinch of salt if needed. Pulse until your desired consistency and enjoy with tortilla chips.
You are 100% right, it is MUCH better than store bought! It came out delicious. Kids and hubby really liked the taste. Next time though, I’ll add a bit more salt. Thanks you! Really great recipe.
YAYYYY ! So happy Carm