Bulgarian Spanakopita Toast
on Feb 24, 2022, Updated Mar 10, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My Bulgarian Spanakopita Toast is what breakfast dreams are made of. This recipe was inspired by my original Bulgarian Cheese, Feta, and Egg Toast which went viral and was featured on apple news. The fact that I am able to elevate and share recipes from my country makes me the happiest girl in the world. I am proud to be Bulgarian and my traditions will always translate onto this food page. This type of Bulgarian spinach and egg feta toast is what we call “Prinzesi” in Bulgaria (meaning princess sandwiches). Every morning I would wake up and my dad always had a version of these baked sandwiches on the table with fresh tomatoes on the side.
- 2 cups freshly chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 4 pieces of rye bread , lightly buttered
- 2 medium eggs
- about 1/2 cup crumbled feta , or sirene which is soft white cheese
- ½ cup of Kashkaval cheese , mozzarella, cheddar, any will work
- pinch of salt
- dry oregano on top or savory as well call it “chubritza” back home is optional
- In a pan on medium heat add a touch of avocado or olive oil. Add the chopped spinach and let it wilt and cook fully. Cool it and squeeze out all of the water in a cheesecloth.
- To a bowl add the spinach, eggs, salt, feta, pinch of salt and grated cheese and mix fully until combined.
- Add a few tablespoons of the mixture on top of each slice of lightly buttered bread and spread it out all the way to the crust.
- On a low rack put your oven on BROIL (top broiler only), and keep a very close eye on them. Mine took 10 minutes but it will really depend on the oven. As soon as they are golden and feel firm on top they are ready. Sprinkle on dry oregano or summer savory and enjoy.