on Mar 07, 2023, Updated Jul 07, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is the easiest rice pudding, which will forever feel like home to me. This creamy rice pudding recipe, or as we call it “mliako s oriz,” is a staple in Bulgaria, which brings the fondest memories. I vividly remember being served rice pudding as a post-nap snack in kindergarten. The teachers would rotate between rice pudding and semolina pudding, which was always the best treat. Isn’t it funny how we can remember something so vividly from such a young age? The smallest gestures often make for the fondest memories, and it’s a feeling that I will forever hold close to my heart.
I know that most countries around the world have their own version of rice with milk or rice pudding, so let me know where you’re from and what you call this delicious treat in your language.
This recipe is my dad’s version and he taught me how to make the creamiest homemade rice pudding ever! The fillings are all optional and you can add anything you like, such as cinnamon, lemon zest, or raisins. If you make this recipe and love it, please leave me a review and let me know what your fondest memories are.
The Easiest Rice Pudding
- 1 cup Italian-style rice , (200grams)
- 2 cups water , (500ml)
- 2 cups milk , (500ml)
- ½ cup sugar , (100grams)
- cinnamon stick
- teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, I used vanilla bean paste
- Rinse the rice really well. To a pot, add the water and let it come to a boil. Add in the rinsed rice and reduce the heat to low.
- Put a lid on the pot, leaving an opening on the side, and let it boil until the water has fully evaporated.
- Once the rice is 90% cooked and the water has fully absorbed into the rice, remove it from the heat.
- In a separate pot, add the milk, sugar, and cinnamon stick. Let it come to a simmer and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add in the cooked rice and stir the whole time, until the mixture thickens. This can take up to 10 minutes on medium heat. You don't want the milk to burn so keep stirring and reduce the heat to medium-low if you need to.
- Carefully taste the rice and when it's fully cooked and thick, you can take it off the heat. Make sure to blow on it so you don't burn your mouth when you taste it.
- Last but not least, stir in the pure vanilla bean paste or extract. Pour the pudding into ramekins (glasses or bowls) and enjoy warm or let it cool completely, cover it, and transfer into the fridge. If you like rice pudding warm or cold it's totally up to preference. I personally like both! Enjoy.