Chocolate chip oat cake for breakfast is such a decadent, yet healthy, way to start the day! Oat cakes are my favorite breakfast treat and I have so many versions on my website. The combination of fibrous oats plus protein and fat-filled nut milk and egg will keep you satisfied for hours, while a handful of chocolate chips will fulfill your early morning sweet tooth.
Chocolate Chip Oat Cake
- ½ cup rolled oats (47 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (make sure it's not expired) (4 grams)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (15 grams)
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg whites
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (4 grams)
- ½ cup plain nut milk, such as almond (125 ml)
- a few chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Add the oats, baking powder, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and milk to a blender and blend until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour the batter into a ramekin or divide it among the wells of a muffin tin. Any oven-safe dish will work, as long as the batter fills no more than 3/4 of the dish (the batter will rise and expand in the oven). Top with chocolate chips, if using.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the center of the cake is set and no longer jiggly.