Easiest most delicious walnut pesto. I know you have basil growing out of control like I do so let’s make a “walnut” pesto. It can be stored in the freezer for 3-4 months or you can even freeze it in an ice-cube tray for individual portions too. So delicious and perfect for pesto eggs which you all love on my page. You will need:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 garlic cloves I like more but it’s up to you
- ⅓ cup walnuts or pine nuts
- pinch of salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup grated parmigiano
- ½ cup olive oil or until desired consistency could be less
- Add the basil, garlic, and nuts of choice to a food processor. Blitz until crumbly.
- Add the grated parmesan, pinch of salt and blitz again.
- Slowly start to add in the olive oil through the spout and a little bit at a time until you have your desired consistency.
You can use it within 5-7 days in the fridge or freeze in a jar for 3-4 months.
You can also freeze it in an ice cube tray and once it’s frozen you can transfer those ice cubes into a Ziploc bag for individual portions. If you don’t have a food processor you can do this in a blender but you will have to keep opening the blender to add a little bit of oil at a time and blending and scraping it down to help it along. If you are old school you can also use a mortar and pestle which is the traditional way. I was going to use a mortar and pestle but mine is not big enough. Enjoy with pesto eggs, on wraps, pasta, sandwiches, as marinade on chicken or shrimp or anything else you love.