These one-bowl, three cheese buns have been incredibly hard to name. These are like a hybrid of cheesy scones, biscuits, popovers, and soft cheese bread. If you love mozzarella, parmigiano, and ricotta, you will absolutely love these. They are incredibly soft on the inside and form a crispy cheesy crust on the outside. This recipe is a one bowl wonder and takes a few minutes to whip up. It doesn’t require any kneading, yeast, or precision. If you can mix a few basic ingredients in a bowl, you are capable of baking soft cheesy buns like these! These would make a delightful side dish alongside a big salad or roast chicken or a stew or soup. Kids and adults will love the fluffy, light texture and decadent taste.
Three Cheese Buns
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup grated parmigiano (50 grams)
- ¼ cup cold water (60 ml)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (150 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it’s not expired)* (10 grams)
- ¾ cup ricotta (150 grams)
- ¾ cup grated mozzarella (100 grams)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and add the salt and parmigiano and whisk. Add the water and mix again. Add in the flour and baking powder. Mix until a sticky batter forms.
- Add in the ricotta cheese and mozzarella. Stir well with a spatula until combined.
- I like to take a large ice-cream scoop and scoop 8 equal balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can also use a large spoon or measuring cup as well.
- If you want to make these buns smaller, you can but the bake time will be less. I made 8 larger buns for this recipe by using a large ice-cream scoop to scoop them onto my parchment paper.
- Bake at 375F for 23 minutes, then switch the oven on broil (top broiler only) for the last 1 to 2 minutes to get that golden cheese top. Keep a very close eye on them as you do not want them to burn.
- You don't have to put them on broil for the last few minutes if your oven is a convection oven or it bakes the buns evenly. We like to as my oven is very weak and bakes mostly from the bottom.
- Enjoy as is or use the buns to make delicious sandwiches!