Russian Potato Salad
on Dec 30, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I’ve been eating “Ruska Salata” for as long as I can remember and it’s one of my favourite Holiday traditions. This Ukrainian/Russian potato salad also known as Салат Оливье is a staple in many households around the world. You can find this potato salad on the table in every Bulgarian home around Christmas and New Year. The secret to the best salad is finely chopping every single ingredient so you have to be patient as this recipe is a labor of love. This salad is not to be rushed as the magic is in the chop so take your time and enjoy the process. Let me know in the comments where you’re from and if you have this salad in your country too.
Table of Contents
- 4 medium yellow potatoes, boiled, peeled, and finely diced
- 2 peeled, boiled, and finely diced carrots, carrots must have a bite to them
- 4 hard boiled eggs (optional if allergic) , peeled and finely chopped
- 4 medium finely diced dill pickles of choice , about 1 cup when diced
- 200 grams finely diced black forest ham of choice (optional if vegan) , chicken or turkey work as well
- 1, 14 oz can of drained peas , use frozen or canned if you wish
- 1 cup of mayo (vegan mayo is an option) , any you like
- salt and pepper to taste if needed
- In a pot on the stove, boil the unpeeled potatoes and peeled carrots until fork tender. In a separate pot, boil the eggs. The eggs and carrots took about 10 minutes to cook from the boiling point and the potatoes took 20 minutes.
- Once the veggies are boiled and fork tender, let them cool. I like to add my boiled eggs to an ice bath so that they are easy to peel. Peel the eggs and chop them finely.
- Peel the potatoes, place each one vertically and cut into 4-5 round pieces, take each piece and make lengthwise cuts, rotate it and dice into tiny cubes. The smaller the cubes are, the better. Do this for each potato until they are all cubed. You can use a serrated knife if it's easier to cut with.
- Dice the boiled carrots into equal size pieces and add them to a bowl along with the diced boiled eggs and potatoes. Add the peas, finely diced pickles, and finely diced ham. Add the mayo before serving the salad and mix. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- You can refrigerate this salad for 3-5 days and add more mayo if it becomes dry. Enjoy!