Orange Cake with Simple Syrup Revane
on Oct 22, 2021, Updated Aug 31, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is the best cake ever and so indulgent. If you love the syrup in Baklava, Tolumbi, or any other dessert that’s drenched in syrup, this is heavenly and perfect for you. It is a light orange cake that absorbs a delicious orange simple syrup. It is made with semolina which really resembles that corn bread texture. It is a very popular cake in many Eastern European and Middle Eastern countries and a real treat. You will need:
Orange Cake w/ Simple Syrup (Revane)
For the Cake
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup oil, any
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup coarse durum wheat semolina #3 on the pack, 160 grams
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, 130 grams
- teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- zest of 2 oranges
Orange Simple Syrup
- 2.5 cups water
- ½ cup orange juice, 2 large oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- Boil your syrup on the stove for about five minutes as you stir and take it off the heat. It has to be completely cold so the step can be done ahead. In the meantime you can begin to work on your cake.
- Mix your eggs and sugar really well with a mixer until they’re nice and light and fluffy. After you mix the eggs and sugar you can begin to add the rest of the ingredients one at a time as you mix in between each one. Orange zest is totally optional and up to you but absolutely delicious. The orange slices are there for presentation but once again optional.
- Spray or oil up the pan that you use and pour out your cake batter. Bake in a pre-heated to 345° oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. This recipe makes one big 9 by 13 inch dish.
- Once the cake is done and while it’s hot you can begin to slowly pour your cold syrup all over. Let it rest and cool completely (1 hour at least) so that it can absorb the syrup. Enjoy