This soup is inspired by my mom and dad and it’s something my parents have been making me for as long as I can remember. We don’t use heavy cream into any of our soups and our secret ingredient to make the soup creamy and just as good has always been to add potatoes instead. When I was back home in Europe this summer, my dad made me a cream of zucchini soup which was absolutely delicious so he is the inspiration behind this recipe. You will need:
Healthiest Cream of Zucchini and Potato Soup
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or any
- 1 roughly chopped onion
- 2 roughly chopped carrots
- 1 roughly diced celery rib
- 1 roughly diced red bell pepper
- 3 diced garlic cloves
- 1 large diced zucchini
- 5 -6 small potatoes peeled and quartered
- 3 big pinches salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 5 cups of hot water
For the croutons:
- 5 slices any bread I used rye
- pinch of salt
- drizzle of olive oil
- sprinkle of italian seasoning
- In a big pot on the stove on medium high heat add to 3 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the onions. You do not need to dice anything finely because everything will be puréed in the end.
- Add the carrots, celery, and bell pepper and stir. Add the garlic and stir. Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and stir again. Add the zucchini and potatoes.
- Cover with enough water or broth of choice and let it come up to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and partially cover it with a lid and let it go for 25 to 30 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
- In the meantime cube your bread of choice, add it onto a baking sheet line with parchment paper, season with salt Italian seasoning and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Massage with your hands and bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or golden. Once the soup is done, you can use a stick blender or blend the veggies and stock in 2 batches.
- Pour it back in to the pot and taste for salt. Serve with the croutons and parsley on top and enjoy.
I held on to this recipe too long before trying it. It is so delicious! I did use chicken broth instead of water but intend to try the water version also.
How about posting the cream of zucchini soup you mentioned?
Thank you for this soup.
Christine, so proud and happy you loved it
So happy to hear that Christine. I BELIEVE it’s up on the blog ( I have to triple check )
Could u add some tiny pasta to this would that work
Would be super starchy but if you want to. There’s potatoes already in here so I typically don’t