Crispy Lemon Potatoes on the Barbecue
on Jun 05, 2022, Updated May 20, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Crispy Lemon Potatoes on the Barbecue. These are hands-down the only barbecued potato recipe you need in your life. Once you try this recipe, you won’t ever want to go back to any other potato dish. These are crispy, lemony, aromatic, and light. This dish is perfect for summer and is always on rotation in my household. I like to buy little, reusable foil trays at the dollar store and line them with parchment paper, but you can use any high-heat dish or pan directly on the bbq. These are perfect when served with some fresh feta on top, or with a side of my homemade tzatziki recipe to dip into. They pair perfectly with my chicken souvlaki recipe or any of my bbq skewer recipes. I use fingerling potatoes but feel free to use baby potatoes or any variety of potatoes you enjoy.
Crispy Lemony Barbecue Potatoes
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes (about 8 potatoes), halved lengthwise
- salt to taste
- lemon pepper to taste (or use black pepper + some lemon zest)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- drizzle of olive oil
- few sprigs of fresh herbs, such as lemon thyme, regular thyme, or rosemary
- feta, crumbled, for serving
- Place the potatoes in a tray or pan that can sustain very high heat. I used a reusable foil tray which I lined with parchment paper. Season with salt and lemon pepper with your heart and add the lemon juice, olive oil, and fresh herbs. Massage the potatoes with your hands and place them all flat side down in the tray.
- Heat up the barbecue and cook the potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes, until a sharp knife inserted inside a potato slides easily through with no resistance. The potatoes should be nice and golden on the bottom. I cooked mine on medium-high heat and I opened and closed the barbecue lid every few minutes until they were fully cooked. The total cooking time will depend on the size and thickness of your potato.
- If you find that the bottoms of the potatoes are getting too golden or crispy, flip them over.
- Serve with feta or any way you like and enjoy.