on Jul 20, 2022, Updated Nov 18, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Texas caviar also known as cowboy caviar has been the latest viral trend. I like to call it a summertime salsa but the name originated in 1940’s and was created by Helen Corbitt in the state of Texas and became a popular viral trend by Bria Lemirande on TikTok. Helen Corbitt was a head chef at the time working under Neiman Marcus and was asked to create a menu using only Texas products. It became so popular that Neiman even sold it in stores. This particular recipe is not the traditional recipe it’s just my modern take on it. This is also hands down one of the best salsa recipes out there. It is so incredibly addictive that you won’t be able to stop eating it and it’s worth all the hype. My take on it is a little different but incredibly delicious and refreshing. It can be enjoyed with tortilla chips, on its own, on rice, on tacos, or with seafood. It’s so versatile and you can practically add anything you enjoy.
Table of Contents
For the Dressing
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, or red wine vinegar
- juice of two limes
- tablespoon of agave , or honey
- salt to taste
For the Salsa
- 1-2 diced mango’s , I used one very large one
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- 1 finely chopped hot poblano pepper or 2 jalapeños are optional for spice
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 1 cup of corn, frozen and thawed grilled, or canned
- 1 15 oz can of organic black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can of organic cannellini beans , rinsed and drained
- handful of finely chopped parsley or cilantro
- Add the dressing to a big bowl and give it a mix.
- Chop up all of the veggies nice and finely and take your time doing this.
- Add the chopped veggies to the bowl with the dressing as well as the beans, corn, and herbs of choice and mix it well. Enjoy with tortilla chips, on its own on top of rice, with seafood like shrimp, or on tacos as a topping.
- Store it in the fridge as it should last you for at least 3 days.