on Oct 23, 2021, Updated Jan 23, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Meatball Soup is my childhood in a bowl. This is what we call Bulgarian “supa topcheta.” It’s one of my favourite soups in the world. This recipe is hearty, nutritious, and comforting. It does take some TLC to roll out the meatballs nice and small, but I promise it will be absolutely worth it. I have been enjoying this soup for more than 30 years of my life as it’s been in my family for generations. I hope you love it just as much, please leave me a comment and let me know how it was.
Mini Meatball Soup
- 400 grams any ground meat you like (we like pork), beef or turkey will work as well
- 1 medium egg
- ½ very finely diced onion
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil , or any oil
- 1 small finely diced onion
- 1 finely diced carrot
- 1 finely diced celery rib
- 1 medium potato
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- ⅓ cup rice , we like jasmine any will work
- 3 litres water or unsalted vegetable stock , 10-11 cups approximately
- finely chopped parsley
- In a bowl add all of the ingredients for the meatballs and mix really well with clean hands until a thick and sticky mixture. Form tiny meatballs — we had 40 in total. Set it aside
- In a big pot on the stove on medium-high heat sauté your onions, celery, and carrots. Add the potatoes and stir.
- Add the tomato paste and sauce and stir between each ingredient.
- Stir in your spices and rice and add the water. Let it come to a full boil and slowly add your mini meatballs.
- Reduce the heat to medium, partially cover the pot and let it go for 20-25 minutes until everything is cooked. Adjust for salt and add in freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy.