I shared this recipe when I used to use Facebook about 8 years ago and it’s still a staple in my home. Biscuits and scones are extremely similar and can be made with so many different fillings. Today I am showing you classic buttermilk biscuits and I am also showing you the plant based alternative too. You can make these plain like I do, you can make them raisin filled, and you can also grate cheese and make them cheesy biscuits or even add herbs and make them herbed. I want you guys to do as you wish and as you love. This Easy Few Ingredient Biscuits recipe makes 21-22 small biscuits but you can make larger ones as well. Let’s get started you will need:
Easy Few Ingredient Biscuits
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 cup of milk buttermilk, or unsweetened plant based milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice leave this out if you are using buttermilk
- 1 stick frozen butter 1/2 cup
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside. Freeze a stick of butter for 30 minutes or overnight before starting this recipe. Butter must be really cold.
- In a big bowl, sift your flour, add your baking powder and salt and whisk. In a separate bowl make buttermilk if you don’t have any.
- Add 1 cup of any milk to a bowl with 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for a few minutes until it curdles or forms lumps & you have buttermilk.
- Take your frozen butter and grate or chop it finely and add it to your flour and break it all with your hands until a crumbly dough.
- Now, add your buttermilk to your bowl and mix/ knead until a soft dough for a few minutes. Lightly flour your counter and roll out your dough with a rolling pin (1 inch thickness) and use a glass or a cookie cutter to cut out biscuits.
- Place your biscuits onto your parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy