Sweet Bread (Portuguese Style)
on Nov 06, 2021, Updated Apr 01, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sweet Bread is universal and one of the most delicious creations in the world. It is fluffy, lightly sweet and incredible with coffee, with plain yogurt on the side (like we do in Bulgaria) or even made as French toast the following day. It is so delicious and incredibly easy to make. Unlike my other sweet bread recipe, this one is not braided and made Portuguese style (Massa Sovada).
If you want to take a look at my other viral sweet bread recipe, take a look and click here Sweet Easter Bread – The Modern Nonna
Note: make sure the yeast is not expired
- 1 packet active dry yeast, 8 grams
- ½ cup warm water, 150 ml
- 1 teaspoon sugar , 5 grams
- ½ cup avocado oil, 125 ml
- zest of a lemon
- ¾ cup sugar , 160 grams
- 3 eggs – room temp
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 5 grams
- ½ cup melted butter, 125 ml
- 1 cup warm milk, 250 ml
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, 940 grams
- egg wash is 1 egg + tsp water
- Add the first three ingredients to your stand mixer bowl and let it activate (takes around 5 min). In the meantime warm the butter and milk on the stove.
- If the yeast doesn't activate or foam up, start this step all over.
- Once your yeast mixture is activated you can begin adding one ingredient at a time into your mixer. Whisk your warm butter and milk into it.
- Add flour gradually until you reach 6 cups more or less but please look at the consistency. Once the dough pulls apart from the bowl, it’s ready.
- Oil up your hands a little and shape into a ball.
- Cover it and let it rise at room temp away from drafts for 2 hours. Once risen divide into 2 and shape each one into a ball. Place each sweet bread into baking dishes lined with parchment paper. Mine were 10-inch round but you can use any you have on hand.
- side note: you can also make one big loaf of bread as well or even small buns (or braids) too. The bake time will depend on the size of the sweet bread.
- Cover the sweet bread and let it rise again for another hour.
- Brush each one with egg-wash and sprinkling sugar on top is optional. Bake uncovered in a pre-heated 350F oven for 45 min or until golden.
- If you are unsure if your loaves are done, you can insert an instant-read thermometer in the center of the loaf. The bread is ready when it is 190F in the interior.
- If you’re making one large loaf you have to bake for at least an hour. Let it cool completely and enjoy. Do not cut into it right away as the bread can become dense and feel more "wet".