Easy 5 Ingredient Irish Soda Bread
on Mar 16, 2023, Updated Jul 07, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy 5 ingredient Irish soda bread is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day and beyond! I hope you get the chance to make one of the simplest, most comforting breads. This bread only takes 10 minutes to whip up and everything comes together in one bowl. The addition of raisins makes this bread sort of like a giant scone, and adds flavor and interest to an otherwise blank slate. The caraway seeds here are optional; they add a nutty, bittersweet flavor with hints of licorice and citrus.
It’s a very quick bread that doesn’t require any kneading. It’s perfect when sliced, toasted, and slathered with butter! Happy St Paddy’s Day to all my Irish friends that celebrate and thank you for sharing your traditions with the world. Cheers⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Irish Soda Bread
- 4 cups all-purpose flour , (451 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt , (7 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda , (5 grams)
- 1 ¾ cups buttermilk , (416 ml)
- 1 cup raisins , (120 grams)
- caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Sift in the flour into a large bowl. Add the salt, baking soda, buttermilk, raisins, and caraway seeds, if using.
- Stir everything with a spoon or spatula and then switch over to mixing with your hands. The dough does not need to be kneaded, but mix it well until a nice tacky dough ball forms.
- Place the dough ball on to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten it until it is 1 to 2 inches in thickness. Score the top and optionally you can brush it with some egg wash to help achieve a golden crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400F and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes. Keep an eye on it as the timing will depend on the oven. Enjoy!