Dad’s Beef Soup
on Nov 01, 2021, Updated Jan 23, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Can you tell I’m missing my dad? This is Bulgarian beef soup as we call” Teleshko Vareno”. This soup feels like home for me, this is something that I have been raised on since I was a baby and I don’t think that I could ever forget the taste of my parents’ home-cooked meals. I feel so honored to be able to share them with you all in to pass on my traditions. I hope you take the time to make this one pot wonder because I truly believe you will love it. It is so healthy and hearty and perfect for this time of year. You will need:
Dad’s Beef Soup
- 10-12 cups water
- 1 onion peeled and halved
- 2 peeled carrots & quartered
- 2 celery ribs halved or quartered
- 6 small peeled quartered potatoes
- 3-4 peeled whole garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bay leaf, optional
- beef, veal chops, pork chops, or any stewing meat will work
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- parsley for garnish
- Add all of your veggies to a big pot on the stove on medium high heat and let it come to a boil. Slowly add in your meat of choice, I decided to use two beef T-bone steaks that I roughly chopped into 2 inch cubes.
- Be sure to skim and throw away any foam that comes to the top, after you do that you can add in 1 tablespoon of salt +1 tablespoon of olive oil or any oil you have.
- Let it simmer on medium with the lid semi-on for 1 hour. After one hour add in your tomato sauce, stir it and let it go for another hour until your meat falls apart.
- Garnish with lots of fresh parsley and enjoy this incredible hearty soup.