My mom’s cheesy mashed potato nests with chicken and sautéed veggies that are topped and baked with mozzarella to perfection. This is an incredible meal that the whole family can enjoy. If you have never made mashed potato nests before, this is a must. You can also make it vegetarian if you leave out the chicken and just sauté a bunch of veggies instead. The best part about cooking is that it’s really versatile and any ingredients or spices you have on hand will work. Recipe makes 6 nests.
Cheesy Mashed Potato Nests with Chicken
For the mashed potato nests
- 10 whole medium yellow potatoes
- boiling water salted as well
- salt/pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup grated parmigiano
- 1 tablespoon milk any
For the chicken
- 2-3 small chicken breasts or 2 large I used boneless skinless
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil or any
- 1 small finely diced onion
- 3-4 diced/minced garlic cloves
- 1 grated carrot optional
- ½ diced bell pepper optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- mozzarella as much as you like
- Boil the potatoes (peeled and whole) in salted water until fork tender. Mash them and add the cheese, milk, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix and shape into 5-6 equal size balls. Lightly oil up a dish and place them inside. With your hands or a spoon make an indent in each one. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken into little cubes and add oil into a pan and heat it up. Once hot, sauté the chicken for 4-5 minutes on medium-high. Add your veggies of choice and spices and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir and take it off the heat. Fill your potato nests, top them off with mozzarella and bake until melted and golden (425F for 15-20 min). Enjoy.