Bulgarian Cheese Feta and Egg Toast
on Nov 01, 2021, Updated Mar 10, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Let me introduce you to my Bulgarian cheese feta and egg toast. This recipe is what we call “Prinzesi” which translates to “Princess” sandwiches in Bulgaria. Every morning I would wake up in my house in Bulgaria and my dad would have these on the table with fresh tomatoes on the side for breakfast. The eggs get mixed with feta and cheese. slathered on buttered bread and baked in the oven. If you have never tried anything like this I highly recommend this Bulgarian staple!
Bulgarian Cheese, Feta, and Egg Toast
- 4 pieces of rye bread , lightly buttered
- 2 eggs
- handful of feta , about 1/3 cup
- handful of any grated cheese , about 1/2 cup
- pinch of salt
- dry oregano on top or savory as well call it “chubritza” back home
- Rye bread or sourdough works best for this recipe or any firmer sliced bread. Butter it lightly with some softened butter (or margarine) and set it aside.
- To a bowl add the eggs, salt, feta and grated cheese and mix fully until combined.
- Add a few tablespoons of the mixture on top of each slice of bread and spread it out all the way to the crust. On a low rack put your oven on BROIL (top broiler on) and keep a very close eye on them.
- Mine took 10 minutes but it will really depend on the oven. As soon as they are golden and feel firm on top they are ready. Sprinkle on dry oregano or dry savory and enjoy