on May 24, 2021, Updated Feb 01, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These delicious breaded zucchini cakes are a dream. Incredibly easy to make, and one of my mom’s best recipes. They are super creamy on the inside from the ricotta and crispy on the outside from the breadcrumbs. Perfectly paired with a simple green side salad and some tzatziki sauce, I promise you won’t be able to get enough.
- 1 ¼ cups ricotta , (250 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup grated pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano, (100 grams)
- pinch of salt
- 2 zucchini, grated and squeezed of excess moisture, (about 200 grams)
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs , (100 grams)
- ¼ cup dill, chopped, (optional)
- 1 to 2 eggs
- breadcrumbs for coating
- avocado oil or any neutral oil for frying
- In a bowl, add the ricotta and egg and give it a mix. Add the grated pecorino, salt, zucchini, breadcrumbs, and dill, if using, and using a rubber spatula or clean hands, mix well.
- Form the mixture into even-size flat patties. You should have 9 patties.
- Set up the breading station: whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl and add the breadcrumbs to another shallow bow. Line a plate in paper towels and place near the stove.
- Add just enough oil to cover the bottom of a skillet, and warm over medium-high heat. While the skillet is heating, dip each zucchini patty into the egg mixture, then lightly coat in breadcrumbs.
- Fry the patties for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Transfer the cooked patties to a paper towel-lined plate and enjoy.